<E34> - 535i Headlight Problem

In BMW Digest v09.n1891 Patrick Vellender <PVellend@domain.elided>
wrote:

> Recently, I noticed that my pass side low beam on my 1989 535i (E34)
> was out.  The funny thing was I didn't get a message on the dash.
> So, I took the bulb out and went to get a new one.  Once I took the
> bulb out, I got a message about the bulb on the dash.  I put the new
> bulb in, the dash message went away, but the light still didn't work.
> Looking at the old bulb, its looks okay which would explain why I
> didn't get a dash message in the first place.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  I have a hard time believing its a broken
> wire somewhere since the sensor did detect that the bulb was removed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat V.
> 1989 535i (E34)

The problem is likely in the Lamp Control Module (LCM), one of the
large black boxes in the fuse box under the hood.  The LCM is the
largest plug-in relay-like thing in the fuse box.  The currents
for most of the exterior lights flow through the LCM.

It is common for solder joint problems to develop in the LCM.
A replacement LCM is rather expensive, but a competent solderer
can probably repair yours by resoldering all the connections.
Unplug the LCM from the fuse box, carefully remove the LCM case,
and resolder any suspicious solder joints, especially the
connections for the large relays on the board.  Reassemble and
reinstall.  I cured a similar low beam headlight problem that
way on an '89 535i.

Curt Ingraham
'72 2002tii
Oakland, CA