RE: Broken Odometer

i have a similar problem with the odometer in my 1988 325is.  it was suggested by a fellow E30 owner, Ian Solomon:

"I've had this exact problem. When you press the reset button on the trip meter, it has broken the plastic bracket that holds the center shaft for the trip meter barrels.

I wired mine in for a while, but a speedo shop can repair it quite cheaply."

at least on the E30, the speedo and odometer run off the same sensor.  i don't know if it's the same on the E28.

good luck,

dan