Re: (e36) my radiator blew up!

you have the infamous plastic propeller in your water pump.... you need a
new water pump and radiator... i had extended warranty when that happened
to me.. it was a good 700 bucks from the dealer to fix....
good luck...

Nicolas Roman
Senior Engineering Consultant
North Miami Beach, FL.

                    Doug Wirth
                    <DWirth@SEREN        To:     "'bmw@domain.elided'" <bmw@domain.elided>
                    A.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     (e36) my radiator blew up!
                    owner-bmw@dig
                    est.net

                    08/14/2001
                    01:55 PM

Yesterday on the way home from work, 2 blocks from home. to my horror I was
looking over my hood and saw a rush of steam and water fly all over the
front of my car.  I'm sure it had nothing to do with hitting redline in
first and second gear.  I looked down to see my temp gage in the red.  I
lifted off the gas, turned on the heater full blast and limped home, about
150 yards.  after lifting the hood, I noticed that the plastic side of my
radiator had separated from the main part.  It lost most of my coolant.  I
remember reading about the fact that these radiators don't last more than
100k miles.  While I was performing surgery, I decided to remove the water
pump to see if I had another problem waiting to happen.  You guessed it a
plastic impeller that had 3 huge cracks on it.  SO now that I have ordered
$350 in parts (thank you Mr. bush for the refund). I wanted to thank this
list for all of the great information that it provides.  I'm sure. I'm
saving big bucks in engine repairs by replacing that water pump.  Its only
couple hour job to replace, I should have done it long ago!

Regards,

Doug Wirth
96 328i  75k miles

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.