Re: Wheel Prices in Germany

In addition to John Firestone's comment I would like to point out that
you may be eligible for a VAT rebate.  The Value Added Taxes charged on
most goods in all of Europe are part of the sticker price and tourists
are technically exempt from paying it.  You can avoid the tax one of two
ways. One:  Have the wheels shipped to the US and you should get a
discount (16 to 20%) from the retail price.  Shipping may be done
attached to the car's axles, I would argue.  Two:  At your port of exit
find the VAT rebate office and you will need the merchandise (to prove
that you weren't fronting this purchase for a resident to evade the
tax), your invoices, your passport and airline ticket and maybe a form
from the retailer.  You will get a check, eventually.

I've done it both ways, though never for merchandise with a value
greater than about $300 or $400.  There may be limits to how much they
discount, but it is worth looking into how to avoid paying a large tax
to fund the "free" government health insurance plan you don't benefit
from.  Discuss this with the dealer since you will certainly need his
cooperation and it shouldn't affect any negotiations in price since the
tax is strictly a pass through and it's not affecting his net income.
Since they don't sell too many wheels to tourists, they may have to look
into it a bit, so you may want to contact them in advance.  Given that
they will most likely have to order the wheels, this may be a necessity
anyway.

Peter Rossato
'94 325is "VDERZEN"