E28 problems

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me diagnose my (1986 automatic)
528e's problems.  Last year I had the flywheel replaced on it, and from the
moment I picked it up at the garage (the mechanic assured me he "knew" BMW's)
I noticed the car would seem to slip into neutral while it was being  driven.
 I returned the car several times to try to have the problem corrected.  The
mechanic said he adjusted the linkage, but yet the problem didn't go away.  A
few months later, I had to bring the car for a second flywheel replacement
(new mechanic obviously-this mechanic said the first guy put the wrong
flywheel in) and a new timing belt.  The car still slips into neutral ,
although only driving in the city, not on the highways.  Now when I drive the
car first thing in the morning, it feels like the car won't change gears--the
tach will go up to 4000-4500 rpms and the car feels like it's in neutral.
Any ideas?  Time to replace the tranny?
TIA
Sue