Re: bmw-digest V9 #1872

> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:39:14 +0200
> From: "Noordien, Igshaan" <in1@domain.elided>
> Subject: e36 '92 aircon
>
> Hi All
>
> Just got off the phone with the dealership - their prices for fixing my
> aircon is scary (for worst case scenario; that is if they've got to
> replace my compressor or evaporator, etc).  It never blew cold since I
> bought it a few months ago.
>
> So, is there anything I can do in terms of tests to isolate the problem?
> When I press the aircon activator nothing happens - no sound from the
> engine bay, no momentary drop in idle speed, nothing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Igshaan

Igshaan - You might want to take it to an air-conditioning technician.  If there
has been a substantial loss of refrigerant (gross leak) the compressor will not
operate.  That is, the electric clutch will not energize or engage. (No clicks, no
noise, no whirring, no nothing)  This clutch is controlled by a low pressure cutoff
switch in the system.  You may or may not need a major replacement of parts, but
they will start the diagnosis by checking the refrigerant charge in the system.  If
it has a charge, perhaps this switch or other wiring issue is the problem.

Rick