re: E34 Electric cooling fan problem

>I have read in Bently that the auxiliary electric cooling fan on the E34
>525i should operate all the time when the Air conditioning is switched on.
>Mine only operates when the engine  is too hot.

If an E34 is like the E30 there is a resistor that controls low speed fan
operation.
The resistor is up fron near the fan in an E30. When the A/C is on, the fan
runs through
the resistor and when the car gets hot it by-passes the resistor and runs at
full speed.
If the resistor has failed it will only run at high speed.

Hope this helps.

Bill