E30 wheel shimmy answer

Peter, I recently had a similar problem on my 91 325ix. Here is what I  did
to fix it.
Replaced lower control arms, replaced ball  joints, rubber bushings, tie
rods ends. Also, replaced rubber bushings in the rear. Replaced shocks and
springs. The car drives  like new.

I also thought that it was the steering column but it was not. The is a bolt
someplace that can be tighten  to make the play in the wheel a bit tighter.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I tried for a while to fix it with alignments
and other  remedies. But nothing bits new parts.

Rami
91 325ix
17" wheels with 215x40x17, with Dinan stage one springs, shocks and  struts.
147K miles