E30 Wheel Shimmy

Can't seem to get a smooth ride and wondered if anyone has had the same problem and potential fixes.  Details: '90 325is, RD springs, M3 bushings, Bilstein Sports, TSW Hockenheim's with 16"/50 series rubber, 90K miles, new lower control arms.  I have had the car's wheels balanced and the alignment checked but continue to get wheel shimmy at highway speeds (usually over 60-65 mph).  This, however, only occurs occasionally.  On different road surfaces the affect changes. Sometimes smooth as rails and other times a nice wobbly shake.  No noticable change in road surface, at least to the eye. Will even do in on smooth surfaces.  So I am wondering the following:

There is some play in the steering, can it be tightened up?

Is there a way to determine if the steering rack needs rebuilding?

Could it be other suspension/steering related items?

I'd like to get an idea of what it might be before I take the car to a mechanic.  I guess it could also be tires, but I rotate them with every oil change, usually 4K mi..  On a tight budget at the moment and don't want to get snowed.  Also, any recommendations on BMW repair shops in the SF Bay Area (Peninsula)?

TIA
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/