<E36> Chain like rotating sound from front

This is kind of hard to describe but its coming from the engine block and
its sound reminds me of at times a fan (it makes that rotating sound), its
not extremely loud but u can hear it while the engine is running, its
constantly there irrespective of rpm increase or decrease. Could this be
a timing chain tensioner gone bad ? It seems to come from the front
of the engine block. The car is a 93 318i with about 145.5K miles, runs
absolutely perfectly just now that that rotating fan like sound is there, but
I am absolutely sure that its not the fan thats making the noise. Please
let me know if anyone has any clue as to what could be happening, if it
does turn out to be the tensioner, is this an expensive undertaking.
Thanks

Mike Theuri
93 318i