E-30 Gauges/Trip Computer

I am having some erratic operation with the gauges in my 85 325e.  The
fuel gauge will wander around slowly, actually rising about 1/8" over a
10-15 minute period.  The temperature gauge does the same thing,
wandering between 3/8 and 1/2 scale.  Maintenance indicator batteries
con't last very long (not getting recharged fully?) and the trip
computer temperature gausge is reading WAY low.  It actually changes
temperature with the outside, but reads about 37F when it is 90F.

I suspected a grounding problem, so I checked the main instrument panel
ground (E1?) at the bolt on the steering column.  IT was tight and
clean.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,

Al Waschka