Re: 740i Battery

Steve,

The $127 is a little high, depending on what you got. I too have a '95 740i
and have replaced the battery. I did it for about & $75 two years ago. I
think my local dealer quoted me a price of $150-$175 for an OEM. Basically,
this car can takes two sizes of batteries. I don't remember what the
original # was but it was about 2" longer than what I got. The battery
holder will adjust for either length. I put in a group # 49-60, it is the
short version and comes with a vent. Your car already had the vent tube in
it, all you need to do is plug the tube to the battery. This battery is
rated at 750 cca & 950 ca, which is what the car specs out. The reason for
the the vent is that BMW does not use the "maintenance free" batteries that
you can't add water to. It has something to do with the the internals of the
battery. I read an article on it but it was over my head. Typical BMW
engineering...They want it done a certain way. What I found out is that
there is only about 2 or 3 major mfg. of batteries in this country, so no
matter what you buy, it's from one of them. Interstate carries one & so does
Douglas. I believe Douglas supplies BMW Spartanburg. But any of the (2)
groups will work. I just can't remember the other group #. I hope this
helps.
Richard Vaughn
BMW CCA #132931 Tarheel Chapter
'95 740i w/new engine hers