Re: E36 Brake Circuit

"Richard R. Coker" <richardcoker@domain.elided> wrote:

>Good morning fellow lovers of the ultimate driving machine.  My machine has
>developed one of those nasty computer notices known as "brake light circuit".

This is usually a bad brake light switch - the parts guy should be able to
sell you the right thing if you just ask for this.  Switch is fairly easy
to change, just in a really awkward place.  Here are some instructions:

Brake light switch is under the dash, at the top of the brake pedal.  What
you need to do is remove the panel under the dash, then disconnect the
wiring from the switch.  While pressing down slightly on the brake pedal
(it's easier to do this when the engine is running, but be careful not to
run the car into anything), pull out the white plunger on the switch as far
as it can go.  It's ratcheted, so you need to pull it pretty hard.  Look at
the new switch to see how far the white plunger comes out.  Then, pull out
the red collar that's around the white plunger as far as it can go.  When
that's done, you can depress the two plastic catches on the sides of the
switch, and pull out the switch.  Put in the new switch, press the red
collar as far as it can go into the switch, then release the brake pedal -
the pedal should push the white plunger into the switch, into the correct
position.  Hook up the wires, then put the underdash panel back into place.

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided