Results of Dinan-Equipped M3 Pursuit

Recently, I posed a query to you about what the Dinan badge on the M3
represented.  The M3  I was looking at was a '98 22K mile, TecnoViolet,
Dinan equipped machine offered by a local BMW dealer for $36K.  A number of
you replied with information about the significance of the badge (i.e., at
least 10 points' worth of Dinan goodies such as performance software and
engine performance upgrades), the reasonableness of the price (quite high
based on what is sold on Ebay), the warranty issue (Dianan  is covered
under the factory warranty if installed by a licensed BMW dealer), and the
uniqueness of the color (discount the price if you don't like it, or like
it if you want something unique).  This stuff was valuable information.

My son and I went to the dealer to test drive the car.  The aloftness of
the salesman was the first bad sign, as he didn't like us asking about what
specific Dinan items were included.  He told us that it had the Dinan
exhaust, performance chip (but didn't know which stage), suspension, front
and rear struts, and a high flow air box.  On our drive, I never had the
opportunity to drive it on the interstate, as he wanted to get back to the
dealer.  However, I did notice the exhaust sounded un-BMWish, and the ride
was really stiff; it made me wonder how I would feel bodywise after a 600
mile drive to the Bay Area.  And, the Tecno Violet color became quite
irritating to my eyes; the sun reflecting against the strip of paint around
the edge of the mirror really brought out to my optic sensitivity the fact
that the color was just too loud for my conservative tastes.  After
returning, I opened the trunk, to discover that the rear shock brace is
mounted through the middle of the trunk, making this area nearly worthless
for storing a large suitcase.

I offered $31.5K for the car, explaining my concerns and that I had a
couple of other leads.  The salesman didn't even try to negotiate, but said
I had "better keep on looking"; he said this M3 was bluebooked at $40K and
they were losing on it with the asking price.

Well, I "kept on looking."  I bought a white 98 M3 with 16K miles,
immaculate, equipped with every option, built in radar, an Alpine alarm
system, one year left on the warranty, for $33K.  Maybe a tad high in price
for a private party transaction, but it was well taken care of, and the
owner was selling it because she had bought a 993 (her husband had a 928
S4, and prior to the M3 she had an '88 C2).  The car is wonderful to drive.

Maybe I should go back to the salesman to thank him for the advice.

And, thanks again for the great responses.

Jim