Re: Question about speed

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Seeker wrote:

> Question: where does the speed reading the OBC gets come from and how is
> the speed any more accurate from the OBC rather from the speedometer?

The OBC gets the road speed signal from the instrument cluster. It is a
pretty narrow pulse train, so the cluster may just be passing on the signal
from the speed sensor.

Perhaps U.S. speedometers could be less optimistic if BMW NA had more
control over the tires their customers slap on their cars.  In Germany, one
must satisfy the TU"V, and I bet they consider how a larger tire might
depress the indicated speed.

- -John
'96 318is

- --