Question about speed

    I saw recently - was it on the Digest? - no, just remembered that it was
in the Roundel, that you could get an accurate readout of your speed and see
how much under or over you speedometer is by setting your OBC on Average
Speed then hitting the reset button.  Works on both my 92 525 and 96 328.

    The 528, at 65mph is just about spot on.  Lining up the needle of the
speedometer with the 65 mark using cruise control, it gave me a reading of
64.5 mph.

    On the other hand, in the 328, with the speedometer registering 70 mph,
the OBC gave me a readout of about 66 mph.  Not so good.

    Question: where does the speed reading the OBC gets come from and how is
the speed any more accurate from the OBC rather from the speedometer?

    Thanks,
    Seeker

End of bmw-digest V9 #1836