Hard starting E23, 735i

I am experiencing difficulties starting my 1986, 735i (E23).

The battery is new, the starter spins the engine well, it just won't fire.

This is an intermittent fault, but is definitely getting more so these days.
Its winter here now, (Oz).

Seems to happen mostly when the car is cold, but not always. May also be a
problem after the car has been driven and then left for a time, sometimes a
short time sometimes a long time.

It seems to help in starting if I push the gas pedal down while cranking.

I've swapped main and fuel relays with others, though none of them are new,
with no discernible change.

My thinking so far is fuel pressure regulator. How do I check this without a
pressure gauge.

Any help appreciated.

Regards from DownUnder
Trevor Turner