Resale value on 95's /and a 95 540i engine woe question....

I posted this yesterday, but it didn't post...

I have a 95 740i with 92k miles and a 95 540i with 65k miles... and
their
 resale value is exactly the same!  Doesn't it seem weird that a
$62,000 car
 and a $50,000 car would be worth the same after 6 years
(understanding that
 their is a large difference in mileage, but even still...).   Then I
looked
 on the internet for a used 95 M3 to see what they are worth at 92k
miles ,
 and they are worth the same as my 95 740i on the used market!  How
can a
 $62k MSRP car be worth the same as a $40k MSRP car?  It kills me (in
 happy, envious sort of way) how well the M3's have held their value.
I say
 hooray for them and their owners.  I'm just sort of sunk here in low
resale
 value-land myself, which makes me realize that I will be keeping my
740i a
 longgggg time.  My real question is this:  My wife is worrying about
her 95
 540i at 65k miles being out of warranty, and on the original tainted
nikasil
 engine.  Should we just keep this car and pray it never succumbs to
the
 engine failure, or dump it for fear of that engine short block
causing us a
 $7000 repair bill in the future?????  What percentage of these
engines
 failed?  Does anyone really know?  THANKS!  I miss the 7 series
digest, but
 now I'm getting into the BMW digest all over again.
 Steve Robinson  Silver Spring MD
 95 740i 92k miles - worth... not much!
 95 540i 65k miles with original "death" engine
 88 911  65k miles & unbelievably holding it's value