<E36> loss of zip revisited

Hi,

I posted a while back about my 96 328i, automatic transmission, 60K miles,
being slower than last year. My 0-60 times are repeatedly 2 to 2.5 seconds
slower than last summer. My mileage is down a few mpg too. I had an
inspection II done last summer and spark plugs, filters etc. were replaced.
Dealer and the DIS say it is running fine.

However I noticed something odd this weekend. When I have it floored (in
third or 4th gear) and watch the tach, I see the revs climb to 3500-4000 rpm
and then drop back about 200-300 rpm then resume climbing. I only notice
this in 3rd or 4th, not 1st or 2nd gear. This only happens between 3500 and
4000 rpm, it doesn't look like my transmission is slipping as the revs never
jump up and then drop down when it grabs and it only happens at this one RPM
range.

So any thoughts as to what this could be? Could it be a automatic
transmission problem or something else like VANOS since this is in the range
where VANOS is working?

Thanks for any help.

Kind Regards,

Dennis