RE: E30 Turn signal problem/ Instruments inop issues

Purvis Brad Civ UAVB/DOI [mailto:brad.purvis@domain.elided] wrote:

> All:
> Just bought a nice 2 owner 325ES, 86 model and will be working
> a few of the bugs out. Right now I need to get turn signals working,
> will consult Bentley when I return home but in the mean time here
> is what I know. 4 ways work fine so the bulbs are fine, left turn
> signal does not work, light in dash does not come on

Sounds like your turn stalk is gummed up or dead.

> and right works fine with light bulb flashing but flashing too fast.

That could be caused by a bad bulb in one of the RHS blinkers. Do all light
flash at the same speed with emergency flashers on?

> I suspect the relay. Dash bulbs work fine with 4 ways on.

So your dash is fine.
I do not remember if the E30 uses the same relay for emergency flashers and
turn signals. If so, the relay may be fine as well and the turn stalk is at
fault. If not, the turn signal relay may be toast.

> SI batteries must be toast as the SI lights are on all the time.
> I have no Tach or Temp gage. I plan to pull the instrument panel
> and check the Ni-Cads and replace with 1.2V replacements after
> making sure they are charged.

Sounds like a plan.

> I will look at resoldering the tach and temp gage but hold
> little hope here.

Why do you need to resolder the instrument cluster?
The tach, vacuum (mph) gauge and I think temp gauge all go haywire when the
SI batteries are dead.

> I have contacted three VDO instrument rebuilders and would like
> to know if anyone has used a good rebuilder that is good but
> offers fair prices.

If your cluster is truly dead, consider buying a used E30 cluster. I think
those go for around $50-100. Most Roundel advertising junk yards will have a
few and one of them should be very close to your mileage.

alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #1821