Cheap Wheels

As Click and Clack say:  "It is the cheap man who spends the most money."
That is not much money for a wheel; especially a complex looking one.  I
would suggest that 17" wheels should be no problem if they are good quality.
I have 17" (factory) wheels on my 2001 BMW 330i and my 2001 Volvo S60 T5 ---
and I live in Nebraska, with our share of potholes.  It is no problem.

You have a nice car.  It is not the fault of the car.  The wheels are junk.
Buy some good ones and drive with reasonable diligence.

Tom Shea