Subject: E36 wheel trouble

John,

I read you post about the wheel troubles you are having.  First off, don't
sell the car!  You have a great car and will really miss it if you sell it.
I have 2 friends that dumped their 3 series and all they want to do now is
try and con me into letting them drive mine!

I have a hard time believing that the 235/40/17's are dramatically better
than the 225/50/16's you said your car came with, the tread foot print isn't
that different.  I would almost bet the difference was the rubber compound,
not the size.  What were the brands/models of tires for your 16's v.s. 17's?
Were you under track conditions to tell the difference, or just street
driving impressions?

On the wheel bending issue....I am going through something similar right
now, only I am having problems with the factory "split spoke" style wheel
that was offered on the 96' 3 series sport package.  I bent two of mine in a
pothole.  The factory replacements are around $480 each, and there cast
wheels, not forged.  I was surprised the wheels bent on this pot hole!  If I
decide to upgrade I will most likely look to a 17" or 18" rim(mostly for
tire choice, not profile) and defiantly a forged wheel.

Scott