Shock absorber replacement - E36 coupe - MacPherson strut tools

Well Nick, the truth is I cheated.  I took the entire strut assembly to
a local mechanic who disassembled and reassembled it for me for $25
cash, no invoices.  That would have covered the cost of renting the
spring compressor tool.  The special tool you are referring to should
look like a deep socket that has been machined away on one side leaving
an opening for the allen hex key to hold the strut rod.

BTW, the Bilstein struts I just installed in my e36 coupe have strut
pistons with an allowance for an allen wrench.  My rear shocks, on the
other hand, had the two flats.  On those I used a box wrench for the nut
and an adjustable crescent wrench to hold the piston rod at the flats.

Peter Rossato
'94 325is "VDERZEN"
with a fully restored tight suspension as proven by this morning's
spirited ride to work ;-)