BMW Alignments

Pete Rossato writes...."Of course this raises the real question that if we
can only adjust front
toe without a major tear down or frame bending, why do we routinely pay
hundreds of dollars for a "four wheel alignment"? We are only getting a
front wheel alignment and a rear wheel check. Sounds like a scam."
Most shops will do a decent job of fixing major alignment problems but I
doubt their procedure or equipment is capable of attaining true factory
specs.  On older BMW's, its basically "Set the Toe and Let it
Go"  .  That's all they can do without replacing the suspension components
that affect caster & camber.  When taking your car to a shop for a wheel
alignment, ask them:

1. Do they have a drive on alignment rack?  Without one, its very difficult
to settle the suspension to the factory's suggest ride height by lowering
the car onto the turntables and slip-plates.
2. How level is their rack....1mm front to back or .5mm side to side is
about the best you'll see out of any system.  These racks can be levelled
using a transit or laser level. The machine should be made level at the
operators alignment height.
3. Do they have a 6 or 8 sensor machine?
4. Do they weight the car per BMW's specifications when doing the alignment?
5. Do they use the BMW factory zero runout clamps which align the heads to
the hub/rotor (rather than the wheel/tire)?  BMW and Mercedes have specific
holes in their rims for the pins on these clamps to pass through the wheel
and bear against the hub.
6. When were the heads last calibrated?  Do they have a calibration bar and
program to check the heads in-house?
7. Do they use a toe spreader when setting front toe...this is required
with certain cars  (eg, all Mercedes).
8. Do they use "no-mar" wheel clamps?  How are they secured to the wheel/tire?
9. Do they have "drop-down" adapters (for the heads) for lowered cars or
cars with spoilers?

A good alignment rack costs $20-30k and a good 8-sensor aligner around
$18-22k.  A true 4-wheel alignment can take 2-4 hours (machines requiring
runout compensation for the clamps/heads are on the high side of this
range).  With the investment in equipment and tech time involved, shops
will try to get as much as the market will allow to do align their
customer's cars.  If you pay $200+ for a 4-wheel alignment, make sure you
get what you pay for.   SD

Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage - Tel 201-262-0412