<E30> Glove box won't open :-(

Dear members,

        I'm in a spot of trouble, I hope someone can help:

I drive a 1987 325 ic and when I park the car with the top down (a rare
occasion in San Francisco!) I lock the glove box.

        I went to open the glove box this morning and, though the key
turns, it doesn't unlock.  It seems that the key is turning too freely.
I suspect that the cylinder is no longer connected to the locking
mechanism.

        Does anyone know a way to open the box without unlocking it (or
damaging it too much!)  I've tried just about everything I could think of
to open it:  Pushing the tray up, applying as much force as I dare in
just about every direction.  Locking and unlocking, using the other key
etc etc.

        Any suggestions would be appreciated, luckily, there's nothing
too important in there, just CDs and all the car documents (hope I don;t
get stopped :-)

        Thanks in advance

Dan

  ______