Re: Slotted vs Cross Drilled Brakes

Richard,

The best way to keep your front rotors from warping (under street and
average track driving) is not slotted or cross-drilled rotors.  You need to
improve your braking technique.  Coming down to a stop from 120 mph will
generate lots of heat, but if your brake application technique is:

1) "apply brakes for a long time, progressively firmer"

you'll generate too much heat and warp the rotors.

If your brake application technique is:

2) "firm quick squeeze" (threshold braking)

you'll scrub speed off quickly, and won't generate the heat to warp your
rotors.

On the E36 M3, people have tried the Euro floating rotors, and even had
these rotors slotted, and still warped them.  Once they learned the correct
braking technique, the warping stopped.

It's not an easy technique to learn, and practicing it on the street can get
you into trouble if you're in traffic, because the car behind you will be
using technique #1 (and it's associated longer stopping distance), and they
can end up saying hello to your trunk lid!

The point is, slotting or cross-drilling may provide you with some gain, but
learning the proper braking technique (threshold braking) will provide you
with a larger gain.

- -rb