Re: <E36> Coolant temp gage reading low

I had a low coolant reading that was accompanied by the car not heating
adequately, if at all.  The problem was a bad thermostat replaced by the
dealer under warranty.  I've also had the impeller replaced as a
preventive measure when I had the opportunity to sideline the car for
other repairs at a local independent mechanic.  The consequences of a
blown water pump can be pretty pricey.

Here are my 2 cents worth which are non inflation adjusted and, perhaps,
practically worthless.  If this were my car, I would have the thermostat
replaced and take the opportunity to have the pump impeller replaced
with the new metal one.  You can also take advantage and do a coolant
flush and fill which is a good maintenance practice anyway.  I got my
impeller from Steve Degerolamo at the Ultimate Garage
(http://www.ultimategarage.com/, or (201) 262-0412, or
steved3@domain.elided).  Other suppliers might help also and be closer to
you.  The part is cheap, maybe $40, the labor is not trivial because the
fan must be removed.  If the part blows, you will have to pay for the
labor and parts and then some anyway.  It's just plain smart to do it
and with a suspect thermostat, it seems like the right time.

Peter Rossato
'94 325is "VDERZEN"