RE: 325E Acceleration

TIMMJON@domain.elided [mailto:TIMMJON@domain.elided] wrote:

> 86 325E starts fine and runs fine for about 1 or 2 minutes.
> Then feels like I've got no accelerator pedal.

Isn't that normal with the E-tas?
Sorry, I'm just kidding about the E-tas, couldn't help myself ;-)

So what happens when you press on the accelerator? Does the car stumble, or
does it just ignore the input?
What color smoke comes out of tail pipe? Are your spark plugs bathing in gas
or are they dry?

> Like I'm chocking out, but no smoking. replaced filters, not
> that.  Oh also it straightens itelf out after about one or two
> minutes more. Like it needs to warm up.

Sounds like cold running mode problems.

> But hten why does it run ok at the start?

After cold or warm start?

> cold start injector? that was suggested by a friend. worse
> in cold weather too.  help?

It's brought to life by the DME when the coolant temp sensor signals that
the engine is cold.
The cold start injector could be leaking, but than you would be having most
of the problems during cold starts. It's unlikely to go bad on its own, so
it could be that your temp coolant sensor is dead and the DME doesn't know
when the engine is cold. If you have the Bentley manual, I would suggest
checking the sensor.
Another possibility is the idle control valve (ICV) or it's brain. Those
frequently go bad after 10+ years and can cause all sorts of intermittent
and hard to trouble shoot idling and running problems.

good luck,
alex f