<E36> Lost that magic feeling

I have a 98 328i with 45K, and I've noticed for a while now (6 mo?)
that the steering feel is not what it used to be.  I recently visited the
dealer and had new tires installed and had a tie rod tightened up,
and now at least I get the hard steering feedback* at high speed, and
the precision has improved somewhat.

*This is where the wheel actually moves, instead of just suggesting.

But I miss that subtle, twitching feedback communicating every bump,
and the wheel often feels vague (less connected) when bringing the wheel
back to center---instead of that direct, input-to-tire feel at all times.

Any ideas?  I would assume that the rubber pieces in the suspension might
be starting to perform nonoptimally...   Could the rack or the power steering
pump cause stuff like this?  Overall weighting is fine, it's just the dynamics
of the feel that are off.

Regarding the tires, I changed from the original Michelin MXV4's (15")
to Dunlop SP Sport 5000's (15").  I have the non-sport suspension.