RE: Is this good? -1990 325is

I don't like the idea of paying book value to an individual for a car.  If
you look at www.kbb.com, they state that the retail price given assumes that
the dealer has aabsorbed the cost of preparing the vehicle for sale and has
added a profit margin and all that good stuff.  The dealer (if he's decent)
also has a reputation to worry about - an individual probably won't try to
get repeat business from a "customer," so he doesn't have to do anything to
ensure that he is selling quality cars.

I'm not questioning the quality of the car you're considering or the
integrity of the seller; I'm just saying that in my experience, an
individual can't expect to get "book value" for the car.  Look at trade-in
price (again, www.kbb.com), which could also be considered "book value," and
offer something in the middle.  Considering that he is selling it himself,
I'm sure the seller realizes this is what he is likely to get if he trades
in in.  However, I don't think his asking price is realistic, as I outlined
above.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco