Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 20:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ilia Zharkov <zharkov@domain.elided>
To: bmw-digest@domain.elided
Subject: '87 535i solenoid/starter faulty

Hi guys,
Thank a lot to those who replied to my previous questions.
 Today I have put a new gasket and insalled the head back. I have almost
certainly screwed up with at least one of those millions of connectors,
but I never expected this
happen at such an early stage. The starter is not working. I measured
the voltage at the black/yellow #50 ignition connector. It's 4V when the
ignition is ON and 12V when th ignition is in START. But the voltage at
"field-winding connecting strap" is dead 0 always. Is the starter solenoid
so sensitive that I could have damaged it when working on assembling the
head and connectors? Or is it more likely that something wrong with the
wiring. I had the experience with bad #50 connector on my '83 533i (dead
now) before, but after a little bit of scrabling this problem usually went
away. Any suggestion before I should replaced the solenoid.
 Before I took the head off I never had any problems with the starter.
 Thanks,
Ilia Zharkov.

- --