A/C changeover to R-134 in a 92 525iT

Hello all,
My a/c is low on R-12 and I assume there is leak somewhere.  There are
bubbles in the sight-glass.  I figured, if indeeed I do have to replace
the compressor, I thought I might as well install an R-134 compatible
compressor and a new dryer to match so that I could service it.   A few
questions:

How does the R134 perform compared to the R12? I am in fort worth, so it
gets pretty hot and humid.
Does anyone know anything else I might need to replace in the conversion?
 I know I will need to replace the oil with R134 compatible oil.

One unrelated question: What does it mean when "owner's manual" appears
in the "check" window?

Thanks much,

James Boyd
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!