RE: Dunlop vs. Bridgestone

David Cordas [mailto:cordasfamily@domain.elided] wrote:

> Looking for new tires for my '95 325IS.  I've been a long
> time Dunlop buyer and am ready to replace my current set of
> SP8000s.  I've been happy with them except that they haven't
> lasted very long. The Tire Rack suggested a set of Bridgestone
> Potenza RE730s.  The website shows they appear to be very good
> tires however I've heard some complaints about their noise.
> Can anyone provide some first hand knowledge?

Not true about the noise.
I have them on my M3 and they are quiet on the road. Unlike most steet tires
they don't squeal at the limit of adhesion - they whisper. So the closer you
are to loosing the traction in a turn the louder they get.
RE730s have roughly 90% of MXX3's dry traction but are head and shoulders
above them in the rain. I've had them for about a year and 10K miles. After
2 DEs and 3 autoXs I still have over 50% of the thread.

> They cost $100 more then the SP8000s...are they worth it?

I've never had SP8Ks, but they've been worth for me as inexpensive autoX/DE
tires for this season.

alex f
'95 M3