High idle speed

Last week i finished my conversion to a 6 cylinder engine from a 2.0 4
cylinder. Huge delimas involved, including a wrecking yard selling me a 325e
engine and not a 325i engine. In the end i have a 1985 E30 323i engine in. If
i were to do it all over again, i would sell the car as it was for sure and go
out and get the next car sprayed, wheels, suspension etc. Switching engines is
a BITCH.
Anyway, the only problem i have is that the car is idling fairly high. I was
told the throttle position switch could be the problem. I looked at it, its
covered in oil and not working (i disconnected it and the car ran exactly the
same). So i sprayed degreeser and wd-40 on it to try and get it working, still
no change. I have the 325e engine sitting in my front yard still, are the
throttle position switches the same for all M20's? They look the same. Im
going to try it tomorrow. Are there any other common fixes for high idle??
This car runs on leaded fuel and therefore no oxygen sensor.
Thanks
Michael St.Clair