Re: bmw-digest V9 #1794

> I have an 83 528e 5 speed with 185,000 miles which all of a sudden won't
go into either 2nd or 4th gear. I drove to the gym with no problem at all,
and when I got done and got back into the car from the first time I pulled
out of my parking space I could suddenly not put the car in 2nd (and then
later found it it also wouldn't go into 4th) gear.

> David is going to pull the drain plug to see if any metal chips come out,
then he'll check dedent ball plate. Other than that he has no clue what to
do other than pulling the transmission.

> So if any of you out there knows anything else he could check before doing
that, we'd really appreciate it!

> David says he checked the transmission oil level a few months ago and it
was "not low."

> Thanks,
>
> Pam Crossett

Sounds like your shift fork is worn.  I had the same problem on my 85 M5,
when the oil level in the tranny got low--the shift fork wore away, and it
wouldn't
go into 3rd anymore.

- --alex