Driveline Noise, Part 3

Part 1 summary:   Noise and shift lever vibration on acceleration in 1st
gear.   Driveshaft and center bearing are still factory at 208K.   Guibo
has 30K on it.    Many excellent suggestions from the list on possible causes.

Part 2 summary:   Shift lever vibration noted in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and
5th.  Hope it's not the transmission....did I order the right parts?   One
of you reminded me that the driveshaft, etc. are well-due anyway - and that
turned out to be true.

Here's Part 3:

Well, the old girl is back together and is very happy.   Everything between
the transmission output and diff input is new.  The guibo was extremely
frag'd - almost three separate pieces.   The shift lever vibration was
caused, among other things, the pieces of the guibo expanding and pounding
the shift linkage.   The rear U-joint was bad (felt like there were detents
on the bearing - and there probably were.)   The center bearing was noisy
when rotated by hand.   Just a whole mess.

Prior to replacement I did eventually notice the problem in 4th also - so
my "Part 2" message described a red herring.

The info that the shaft can be removed without removing the whole exhaust
system (I just pulled the rear half) was very helpful.  Pulling the rear
transmission support was the key (yes, got new trans mounts too.)  Some
suggested to replace the shift linkage bushings while everything was
apart  and I did it too.  She shifts like new now!   At the suggestion of
the person who sold me the shift selector bushing, I put a little silicon
goop where the felt usually goes and squished it on the selector
shaft.  We'll see how that holds up.

High speed road hum is also greatly reduced now.   No sign of trans or diff
problems.

Now, hope this guibo lasts longer then 30K.   I'm presuming the bad center
bearing and U joint contributed to failure.   Or perhaps the part was
defective.   The trans seals were not leaking, they are relatively new.

Thanks again for the help,

Tony.