Driveline Noise, Part 2

Well, friends, the story continues.   What was a little "driveline" noise
and vibration while starting out in 1st gear is now significant motion on
the manual shift lever -  about 1" (at the knob) of forceful full motion
side-to-side under load in 1, 2, 3, 5th gears.   Raring to get started, I
ordered up the parts.   Now that the new drive shaft, guibo, center
bearing, etc. is on the UPS truck heading my way, I decided to re-read the
Bently driveshaft replacement procedure.

That accomplished, I paged to the manual transmission section.  Knowing
nothing about how trannys work, I studied diagrams until things started to
make sense.     Ok, I'm a tranny novice here, but it now seems to me that
power flow for 1, 2, 3, & 5th gears includes the layshaft, while the power
flow for 4th (1:1) skips the layshaft and only involves the input and
output shafts.   So, if a bearing on the layshaft was shot, I'd notice
problems in 1, 2 ,3, & 5th.  And no problems in 4th.

Huh.   And I paid extra for 2nd-day delivery of the drive shaft.

Thanks to all for the advice, on and off list.   The symptoms now seem
clearer.

Tony.

87 325, 209K miles

End of bmw-digest V9 #1790