RE: Ran out of fuel

I have the same problem with my '97 328ic.  The dealer replaced many parts
including sending units etc. and the problem is still there.  The story they
give about the OBC being somewhat accurate is not true!  I had a 1994 325is
and in the 5 years I drove the car I did not run out of fuel ONCE!!  The
computer was very accurate.  Once the lines on the OBC started flashing I
knew that it was time to fill up soon.  However, with the 328ic anything
below 25 miles is RISKY.  Another way I knew that the OBC was inaccurate was
the high MPG rating I was getting.  I know that these cars rarely get close
to 25mpg city driving.  The real figure is around 21-22.5.

Hope this helps.  By the way I also have a '92 535i and have never ran out
of fuel in this car.  The computer does what it is supposed to do, give
accurate readings.

Bertan
'97 328ic
'92 535i

I was very disappointed today when my BMW 323 1999 model ran out of fuel.
The on board computer was telling me that I have 10 more miles to go. Has
anybody had similar experience with this feature, and how reliable is it?

Alex

BMW 323i 1999