RE: Ran out of fuel

Alexander Mitreski [mailto:mitreski@domain.elided] wrote:

> I was very disappointed today when my BMW 323 1999 model ran
> out of fuel. The on board computer was telling me that I have
> 10 more miles to go. Has anybody had similar experience with
> this feature, and how reliable is it?

Alex,
OBC is a toy.
If you read the owner handbook that came with the car it will tell you the
same thing pretty much word for word.
The range is estimated based on the past (last 15 miles?) fuel consumption
and amount of fuel OBC thinks is left in the tank. Between those two
variables, you can't expect range to be anything but a rough guidelines.
Another reason to fill up before the reserve light is lit is that the fuel
pump is cooled by the gasoline sloshing around in the tank. Running on empty
tends to overheat the pump leading to a premature demise.

YMMV,
alex f

End of bmw-digest V9 #1786