Service cost - A/C

I need to get my A/C fixed in my E28 so we don't get scorched this summer.
It's getting hotter (I'd guess it's at least 85 today), and I don't want to
put this off too much.

I've always done my own work, but considering this is R12 and A/C and all, I
don't really know where to begin.  The service records indicate that the
dryer was replaced a few years ago by a dealer, and around the same time, a
dye was put in the system to find a leak.  I'm guessing the leak has
resurfaced (or was never fully repaired), so I will most likely need to get
the leak fixed and get it recharged.

Should I go to a dealer, or would an independent shop be better?  Should I
go with someone who specializes in BMWs, or should I choose a shop that does
a lot of A/C work?

I'll be getting a Bentley very shortly, so if there are procedures I can
perform myself, I'll probably try that first.

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle