RE: Which tires to buy?

Schwarz, Matthew J. (Equity Analyst) [mailto:mschwarz@domain.elided] wrote:

> I have a 1999 M3 and I'm looking to replace my tires at 30,000 miles.
> I have narrowed my tire choice down to three and would very much like
> anyone's advice.  They are for summer use only in wet and dry
> conditions.  Price is currently not an issue, but i'll include my
> costs so any of you can tell me that i'm getting ripped off, if i am?
> 1) Michelin Pilot Sports = $1000
> 2) Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Positions = $838
> 3) Yokohama AVS Sport = $788

Matt,
Tire rack (www.tirerack.com) lists above tires at:
1) Michelin Pilot Sports = $244
2) Bridgestone Potenza S-02 = $199
3) Yokohama AVS Sport = $162
So your prices are pretty close on everything but the AVS sports.

If you are after summer only tires, how about getting some longer lasting R
tires like Toyo R1s? Some local Dallas TX M3 pilots are running them all
year and swear by them. One of them has about one year and 10K miles on his
R1s with roughly 1/2 thread left.
I would definitely be running them on my M3 but that would promote me one
class up in our autoX classification where I would be eaten alive by Hoosier
shoed M3s.

alex f
'89 325i
'95 M3