RE: Bilstein HDs - pls help

Ronnie Arneja [mailto:rarneja@domain.elided] wrote:

> I just bought but not installed Bilstein Mono HDs for my 94 325i.
> I choose HDs over sports since I did not want to lower my car.

Congratulations on your new purchase!
AFAIK you made the right choice. Bilstein HDs go with stock springs while
Sports require lower aftermarket springs.
I installed Bilstein HDs on my E30 and have been very happy for the past
80+k miles.
I've heard from fellow track junkies that Bilstein may have been off the
mark designing E36 M3 Sport shocks (no HDs or Comfies for that model). Those
who installed Sports on E36 M3s are reporting bone jarring rides
particularly over small bumps. When time comes to replace shocks on my '95
M3 I will probably go with either SA or DA Konis just for that reason.
However, regular E36 shocks are different and the above certainly does not
apply to HDs.

> Please share with me if I should switch to sports or Bilstein new
> Econo TC's which replace factory stock but still get the Bilstein
> tag, thing is they are twintubes.

Bilstein used to have three lines of shocks: Sport, HD and Comfort. I am not
familiar with "Econo TC's", but from your description it sound like they are
replacing the Comfort line. Turner
(http://www.turnermotorsport.com/catalog/bilstein/bmw.htm) is still listing
S/HD/C designations, so I don't really know where Econos fit into the
picture.
Iff you want to preserve the stock comfy ride, Bilstein Comforts are
probably it. Otherwise go with HDs or Sports depending on the spring length.

If in doubt, give Turner a call!

alex f