RE: BIlstein HD

>Yes, simple.  Bilstein HDs are not the right shocks for most cars.  Their
>damping rates are so high sometimes that the car doesn't have enough static

>weight to offset the increase in rebound rates....<snip>

A more accurate statement might be:

   "Bilstein HDs are not right for *many drivers*".

The HD shocks are designed with the proper valving for the weight of the car
they are being applied to. They are firmer than the stock shock absorbers,
and some people would not like it this way. You are correct that using them
with the standard springs may not offer the best performance though.

K. Chan, the problem with your car sounds like Bilsteins with standard
springs. If all you did was change the shocks, then this will happen.
Bilsteins are pressurized with Nitrogen. This is done to prevent the oil
inside from foaming up when the shocks are cycled. It is one of the things
that make Bilsteins work so well. The problem in this case is the pressure
inside the shock (and strut) adds to the force of the spring pushing your
car a little (maybe a lot) higher. I am not sure why the front was affected
more than the rear. Maybe because of the size of the piston inside the shock
being different than the strut.

If you want to get the ride to be lower, H&R offer a couple of options on
spring height. They have one called "OE Sport" that lowers the car a little
while maintaining a decent ride. The next step would be the "Sport" spring
which is a little stiffer and lower, followed by the "Race" spring which I
would not think you would want on the street (if you want to keep your
eyeballs in their sockets).

If you want it to be lower, by some new springs. I am sure the car will
still perform admirably just as it is though.

Good luck,
Bernman