BIlstein HD

In a message dated 4/24/01 8:44:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Hi,

 I have a stock 1992 E36 325i, and I replaced the struts and shocks with
 Bilstein HDs.  However, after replacement, the gap between the front tire
 and the wheel well is too high by about an inch or two, and the rear seems
 to be sitting a tad low.  They seem to be the right shocks, and the springs
 look like they're the originals.  Does anyone know what might cause this?

 Thanks in advance,
 - -K. Chan >>

Yes, simple.  Bilstein HDs are not the right shocks for most cars.  Their
damping rates are so high sometimes that the car doesn't have enough static
weight to offset the increase in rebound rates.  Which is why I don't like
using HDs unless the car I want to use it in is a large and heavy car.  Sport
is good, but you need lower springs.  For all other cases, just stick to the
original Boge.

Gary Krumian