Re: bmw-digest V9 #1777

In a message dated 4/21/01 6:52:40 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
owner-bmw-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:30:33 EDT
> From: Chambolle@domain.elided
> Subject: Recommendations please
>
> We've got a '95 M3 2 door and a '76 2002.  The M3 is not very well suited
> toting our 5 month old around in her car seat, together with all of the
> paraphernalia required to keep an infant in diapers, strollers and the
> like.
> We need more room and access to the back seat and more storage space.  The
> 2002 is cute and fun and my wife loves it, but it's not what I want my
> precious wife and child to be sitting in while they do battle on a daily
> basis with Ford Destroyers and Chevy Excessives and the other huge and
> unmaneuverable Stupid Useless Vehicles on our local roads.  It also isn't
> exactly a freeway car.
>
> We need a new Bimmer.  It breaks my heart, but it isn't going to be a new
> 320
> hp M3 convertible -- it's got to be a family car my wife will drive the
> baby
> around in most days of the week.  I'm trying to figure out whether I should
> be looking at a 5er sedan, a 325xi 'sport wagon,' or a 330xi 4 door.  I
> think
> the 5er is out because my wife doesn't want to drive a land barge, but I
> won't rule it out just yet.  Anybody out there who has recently struggled
> with the "got a new baby and need something with at least 4 doors and lots
> of
> safety features" syndrome, and who has some wisdom to impart, please
> respond!
>
> David M. Jacobi
> chambolle@domain.elided
> 95 M3 (bright red)

David
    I've been through the same dilemma. I would say when you have kids the
few things you appreciate while driving are space, versatility, and no
luxury. You definitely don't want food thrown on nice leather seats or have
to crawl in/out just to place your baby on the car seat. Remember that
strollers, baby's supplies, etc. take up a lot of room. I opted to sell my M3
and buy a sport utility (refused to drive a van).

Ed

End of bmw-digest V9 #1778