Climate Control

I've got an '86 735i and I've heard about the resistor pack going bad in
many bmws, and was wondering if I might have the same problem.  The volume
control on the fan does not seem to have as much variation as it used to.
After the first three settings, it only seems to have two different speeds,
rather than an infinitely variable speed.  When its rotated, it doesn't
change the speed until you get all the way to the highest setting.  Another
problem, which I don't know if its related or not, is that the whole system
will turn off on me all of a sudden, and all the dash lights go out on the
climate controller.  I took it apart, and found one contact on the board
corroded, I can't remember which one, but I think its the third one from the
right on the board that controls the push buttons, not the temperature or
fan volume selector.  Any information about any of these problems would be
really helpful, or if you know of a place where I could find some more
information would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Kevin
'86 735i