Re: Frozen Front Caliper 1986 535i

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Kegel
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2001 11:23 PM
To: BMW Digest
Cc: giln1oiw@domain.elided
Subject: RE: Frozen Front Caliper 1986 535i

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, at 21:47:13 -0500, Gil Thereault wrote:

>   I have this perplexing problem with the front passenger side brake
>caliper.  In the past week, the front caliper of my 86 535i locked up to a
>point that the wheel was not movable.

Try replacing the brake hoses. They develop internal cracks as they age.
This allows brake fluid in between the plies. When the line is pressurized
the hose swells internally, acting like a one-way valve.

Bob Kegel
'70 2002
'85 635 CSi
BMW CCA
Puget Sound Chapter
Important reply to all !!
I appreciate everyones assistance with all their responses.  I changed the
offending brake hose and it did in fact correct the problem.  I am now in the
process of changing all the brake hose.  It was obvious to me that the the
offfending hose was replace at some point in the pastby the marks made to the
connection.  My recommendation is that one should replace the hoses with the
stainless steel hoses. In the long run they are cheaper and they last longer.
SS hoses range in price from $65.00 to over $100.00.   It is worth it, as my
model has 6 six brake hoses rather than 4 as I had original had thought.  In
any case price the SS hose before you purchase the the OEM.  Thanks again.
GIl

1986 BMW 535i with 181,000k
Happy and runs strong
Buy a BMW then tell your wife after the fact <br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE
download of MSN Explorer at <a