325 oily diff

As long as Im thinking about it, I looked under the back of the car the other
day, and noticed that the diff is covered in oil.  It looks like it's been
leaking for a while, because it's caked pretty thick and nasty.  Is this
component known to fail in a certain way that will cost major $ to rebuild or
something?  I will be washing it off and looking for the leak soon, but I'm
curious what I'm up against.  I haven't noticed any noises coming from back
there and everything feels ok, so hopefully I'm all right.  Any recommended
magic snake oils to put in there when I change the diff juice?  I think I
have a coupla quarts of redline 80/90NS down in the garage that may go in
there if the numbers look pretty close in the manual.
Thanks again,
Jake
89 325i
Bryan, TX