Subject: 325is Maintenance results so far

Danny:
I have an '88 535is, and I have kept a thorough maintenance cost
spreadsheet.  It covers 72,000 miles through 196,000 miles on this car.
In this mileage range there are a lot of wear parts that simply have to
be replaced, this stuff doesn't last forever on any car.  BMW
maintenance is expensive, but I suspect that any car in this age range
and being cared about, not ignored would also be expensive.  The higher
your standards the more expensive it will be regardless.  The real
question is whether it is worth it to you.  The average cost all
inclusive (except gas, insurance, registration), with tires, oil
changes, clutch, driveshaft, water pump, all new front joints and
bushings, shocks, several batteries, a few brake rotor renewals,
complete stainless exhaust/cat system, new CD player, seat heaters and
leather refurbishing, and a chip is about $150 per month, or $1800 per
year.  Since the car is paid for, I feel this is well justified, as it
is far less than new car payments, and still a far superior car to 95%
of others on the road, new or old.  I'll send you the spreadsheet
privately if you promise never to reveal it to any non-enthusiast wife.
Steve Poland
Portland, OR
- -------
From: Daniel Pham <dpham@domain.elided>

I'm assuming no one keeps a spreadsheet on their BMW maintenance since I
haven't received on spreadsheet yet. Do most BMW owners keep their cars
for
less than 3 years and move onto another newer model? So far I've heard
that 10 yr. old BMWs can be good and maintenance cost is proportionate.
Has
anyone had a BMW for 10 yrs and tracked their costs..ie. bushings,
struts,
clutch replacement, head gasket jobs....etc?

Where do BMWs stand?

- - -Danny