RE: 325is Maintenance results so far

>>I'm assuming no one keeps a spreadsheet on their BMW maintenance since I
haven't received on spreadsheet yet. Do most BMW owners keep their cars for
less than 3 years and move onto another newer model? So far I've heard views
that 10 yr. old BMWs can be good and maintenance cost is proportionate. Has
anyone had a BMW for 10 yrs and tracked their costs..ie. bushings, struts,
clutch replacement, head gasket jobs....etc? <<

well, you can look at my maintenance/repair logs at:

http://home.austin.rr.com/danhermann/

i sold my 92 325i back in september of 2000.  i've only owned my 1988 325is
since january of 2001, so you can't take the short maintenance list as
indicative of few problems.  as a matter of fact, i just found out that
coolant is leaking from the heater core, so that's gonna' be either an
expensive or time-consuming repair.

i think my 92 325i was one of those worst-case scenarios.  i spent a little
over $6k in 18 months on it.  it never died on me or anything, but wheel
bearings, mufflers, etc. really add up fast.  i guess i just hit every
major maintenance item on that car in the 18 month window that i owned it.
i loved every minute of driving it, though.  only reason i sold it was b/c
it was an automatic and that just wasn't good enough.  i love both my M3
and my 325is now, and while neither are cheap to maintain, it's the price
i pay for driving cars that bring a smile to my face every time i get in
them.  for the M3, i did buy an extended warranty out to 100,000 miles and
5 years.  i think that's a smart move for any BMW owner, especially the M-car
owner, that has that option unless you do almost all your own repair work.

ymmv, and for your sake, i hope it does.  i think i have bad luck with cars.

dan